Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My FIT JOURNEY: Day 1

For those of you who know me well, this has been a long arduous 2 years.  In October 2011 I tore my labrum in my hip playing soccer.  It took around 6 months to diagnose and get scheduled for surgery.  After undergoing my first MAJOR reconstructive hip surgery in APRIL 2012, I worked hard struggling to regain my fitness after being on crutches for 6 weeks.  In June 2012 I began learning to walk again, all the while never having relief from my hip pain.  I pushed, I rested, I tried injections, prednisone treatments, EVERYTHING possible to heal and regain my health.  Then, in JANUARY 2013 while doing nothing out of the ordinary, in fact I was just turning towards my closet while in my bathroom...my labrum sheared away and I fell onto the ground in my bathroom screaming in pain.  I couldn't walk, couldn't bare weight for over 3 hours as I worked on my crutches all that morning.  I knew something wasn't right.  As my pain only increased and my function of my hip decreased over the next few weeks, I knew that this was not old scar tissue finally letting go.  It was my worst fear come true.  I was going to have to go through this journey AGAIN.  

If I would have known that I was going to be benched this time on crutches for a full 10 weeks I probably wouldn't have agreed to the surgery.  They found my hip to be in the worst condition possible.  Not only had I regrown bone they had taken down from my first decompression, I in fact, had torn my labrum above my old tear sight.  But if that wasn't enough, I had also developed 3rd degree chondromalacia on my femoral head.  The beginnings most likely of hip arthritis.  (Pictured below.)



This time they did a decompression not only on my femur, but on my hip socket (acetabulum) as well.  This has been the most painful experience that I have ever been through in my life.  Below is a picture of my hip after all the repairs were done before they closed my hip at the end of my surgery.  Yes that is the inside of my femoral head, above you can see the sutures and anchors of my labral repair and acetabular decompression.  This isn't pretty people!!


So this being said,  I am now embarking on my new journey of the new fit me.  Whatever that might be.  It might not be the elite athletic condition that I was once in, but I'm sure going to try.  I'm not sure if I'll be ever be able to regain what I once had, but I'm going to regain what I can, striving for the healthiest possible condition my body can be.

So if you are ready, or if you just want to ready or not...Join me in taking steps towards a healthier, fitter, happier you!  My fit journey is going to encourage both of us to get out there and be active to eat a healthy diet and live an active lifestyle.  Here's to our heath.  I'm ready for a good year, and I'm starting over TODAY.


DAY 1:


CARDIO:

Treadmill 2.25 mile workout  (I ran 1 mile, walked 0.1 miles, ran 1 mile, walked 0.15 mile cool down)

WEIGHTS:

Standing Hip Extension on my Shuttle MVP       2x15 each leg
Seated Wide Grip Lat Pulls                               2x15
Alternating Bicep Curls                                      2x15
SL Seated Leg Extension Full Arc                     2x15 each leg
SL Seated Leg Extension Short Arc                  2x15 each leg
SL Seated Hamstring Curls                               2x15 each leg
Hamstring Ball Curls                                         2x15
Ab Ball Pass Drill                                             2x20
Incline Chest Press                                           2x15
Tricep Rope Extension                                      2x15

Happy Training!!  I'll see you tomorrow!  With DAY 2....TRX here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment