Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Strong is the new Skinny...

I will preface this article by fully admitting I am a girl who has ALWAYS loved a strong looking physique...if I am completely honest I will let you in on a little secret about myself.  Growing up I probably spent more time than not when I was in front a mirror flexing my muscles instead of fixing my hair, seeing just how ripped I could make myself and how many veins I could get to pop out of my biceps and forearms instead of worrying about my make up...(You can ask my sisters if you don't believe me).  Okay...you got me, I still do.  I think my husband thinks I'm a nut.

This being said, I know I am different than the average girl.  But I'm hoping that a shift is occurring towards my direction.  I grew up in a generation that idolized the unhealthily thin and wispy woman giving girls and women unrealistic standards to hold themselves to.  Now don't get me wrong, I do not want to look like a body builder on testosterone, but I do want to be a strong athletic woman proud of my genes and not ashamed that I can do a one armed push up. Why fight what I was born with?  My arms are NEVER going to be little strings hanging out of my shirt, so I might as well rip them up and be proud of them.  That is why I absolutely LOVE the phrase, "Strong is the new skinny."

I encourage women to be strong.  Lift weights, hit the gym.   Take care of YOUR body.  Let it be the best that IT can be whatever shape that is.  Don't do it to look like a certain body type or celebrity. Go for the strong you.  You won't regret it.  I can promise you that.  


4 comments:

  1. I needed this today. Mostly because I just wiped down the kitchen table and my right arm was flapping like a laundered sheet on the line in the wind. It made me so sad. I've been using the Roll-a-bout to pick up X-man after school and it takes all the physical energy I have. It's only a half mile there and a half mile home, but today I was sweating like a pig. It felt normal! I cannot wait until January. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! You are so welcome girl! I'm glad I could give you a lift today! Stay strong! This too shall pass and you and I will be pumping the iron together before you know it!! I'm looking forward to it too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this Kari! Wish I could share this with every girl my age. You truly are an inspiration to all of us strong girls out there! You're an incredible human being and I can't wait until our paths cross again someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you Val! I wish I could get every woman and girl to love themselves for who they are. Send your friends my way! I love helping people achieve their fitness goals whether it be through motivation, nutrition, or training. It's ALL important! AND I know we will DEFINITELY cross paths again! You are always welcome here in Illinois!! :)

      Delete